FDOT SELECTS THE BEST VALUE PROPOSAL for the I-4 Ultimate Project
in Orange and Seminole Counties
ORLANDO—The effort to reconstruct Interstate 4 in Orange and Seminole counties took its biggest step forward to date. The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) announced today that it has selected I-4 Mobility Partners as the best value proposer and will post a Notice of Intent to Award later today. The I-4 Mobility Partners team has been selected to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the project known as the I-4 Ultimate through a 40-year public-private partnership concession agreement at a total design and construction cost of $2,323,000,000.00 in year of expenditure dollars. This cost is approximately $860 million less than the highest proposal received by FDOT at $3,180,033,233.90 in year of expenditure dollars. Commercial and financial close is expected to occur later this summer.
FDOT Secretary Prasad said, “The use of a public-private partnership for the I-4 Ultimate project will help us deliver these improvements 20 years sooner than using conventional methods. This benefits Central Florida residents, commuters and visitors.”
The members of the I-4 Mobility Partners team include the following:
· Skanska Infrastructure Development Inc. (Equity Member)
· John Laing Investments Limited (Equity Member)
· Construction Joint Venture – Skanska USA Civil Southeast Inc., Granite Construction Company, and the Lane Construction Corporation (Lead Contractor)
· Design Joint Venture – HDR Engineering, Inc. and Jacobs Engineering Group, Inc. (Lead Engineer)
· Infrastructure Corporation of America (Lead Operations and Maintenance firm)
The project includes the reconstruction of 21 miles of I-4 from west of Kirkman Road in Orange County to east of State Road 434 in Seminole County. The I-4 Ultimate project adds four tolled express lanes to I-4 while maintaining the existing free general use lanes, providing a choice to motorists. The express lanes will be operated with variable tolls which will be adjusted to improve traffic flow throughout the corridor. FDOT will retain the toll revenue and will control the toll rates.
The I-4 Mobility Partners team provided FDOT with additional technical enhancements in its proposal that included direct connections from I-4 express lanes to SR 408, capacity improvements in the form of additional auxiliary lanes and turn lanes, pedestrian bridges, and enhanced aesthetics along the facility. Construction is expected to begin in 2015 and be completed in 2021.
The I-4 Ultimate project is being procured by FDOT as a public-private partnership. The concession agreement sets the concessionaire’s responsibility to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the facility for approximately 40 years. Under the concession agreement, the concessionaire earns “availability” payments from FDOT upon meeting set performance standards to keep the facility open and maintained for travelers. Benefits of public-private partnerships include transferring cost overrun risks for construction and long-term upkeep of the facility to the private sector. Large, complex projects can be combined and accelerated using the public-private partnership approach, advancing the benefits of the project to the public sooner than traditional methods.
I-4 Mobility Partners was one of four teams submitting proposals on this project. The other three teams were:
· VINCI Concessions S.A.S. (Equity Member)
· Meridiam Infrastructure I-4 Ultimate, LLC (Equity Member)
· Walsh Investors, LLC (Equity Member)
· Construction Joint Venture – Archer Western Contractors, LLC, Hubbard Construction Company, and The de Moya Group Inc. (Lead Contractor)
· AECOM Technical Services, Inc. (Lead Engineer)
· 4wardPartners (VINCI Concessions S.A.S., Meridiam Infrastructure I-4 Ultimate, LLC, and Walsh Investors, LLC) (Lead Operations and Maintenance firm)
I-4 Development Partners LLC
· Macquarie Capital Group Limited (Equity Member)
· OHL Concesiones S.A. (Equity Member)
· FCC Construccion S.A. (Equity Member)
· Obrascon Huarte Lain, S.A., Community Asphalt Corp., and FCC Constuccion S.A. (Lead Contractor)
· Parsons Brinckerhoff (Lead Engineer)
· Macquarie Capital Group Limited, OHL Concesiones S.A., and FCC Construccion S.A. (Lead Operations and Maintenance firm)
Ultimate Mobility Partners
· InfraRed Capital Partners Limited (Equity Member)
· Fluor Enterprises, Inc. (Equity Member)
· Kiewit Infrastructure South Co. ( Equity Member)
· Ultimate Mobility Constructors (Fluor Enterprises Inc. and Kiewit Infrastructure South Co.) (Lead Contractor)
· Design Joint Venture – Parsons Transportation Group Inc. and Atkins North America, Inc. (Lead Engineer)
· Ultimate Mobility Operators (Fluor Enterprises, Inc. and DBi Services, LLC) (Lead Operations and Maintenance firm)
More project information may be found at www.moving-4-ward.com.